In 2013 the Chapter members and board announced that Sam Cahan; Member Emeritus and Past President, has had the Chapters’ President’s Award, renamed in his honor. Recently in October 2016 Sam celebrated his 100th birthday and the San Diego Chapter wished him well; if even in video:
Though the award is determined solely by our Chapters’ President, several guidelines for consideration have been determined, but more importantly:
“The member to be recognized must embody the spirit of safety, be a sound and respected practitioner and be a person capable of respectfully representing our profession, chapter and ASSE.”
Additional Criteria for the Sam Cahan President’s Award are:
- Recipients must be a current ASSE member and member of the San Diego Chapter in good standing
- It is possible that in a specific Board year a Chapter President may choose not to recognize anyone with the Sam Cahan President’s Award
- Recognition review will be stimulated by the Recognition and Awards Chair for the Chapter at the same time other recognition review efforts are underway (other than for the Safety Professional of the Year which is awarded during the December Holiday luncheon on an annual basis)
- The member to be recognized must embody the spirit of safety, be a sound and respected practitioner and be a person capable of respectfully representing our profession, chapter and ASSE
- Activities are chapter – specific, but may be those connected to Region or Society-level initiatives a member is engaged in
- Contributions to be considered are within a Board year such that a sitting President can determine whom he or she wishes to recognize within their term
- Though the intent is for the award to be used to recognize an individual, it is conceivable that a Chapter President may choose to recognize more than one individual for joint efforts and contributions
- Contributions, efforts or activities that can be utilized to recognize a member with the Presidents’ Award include those that span a Board year or are very specific in nature, such as undertaking a special project, successful management of a local Professional Development Conference, committee work, chapter contributions to the Society and the like
- Efforts need to be distinct, distinguishable from other typical Board and Chapter functions and make a difference toward advancing the cause of our profession and the mission or the operations of our chapter and/or the Association
- Recognition will be provided during the course of the Chapters’ July transition and recognition meetings
Sam, though now in retirement, clearly was a dedicated safety professional, a tremendous practitioner and represented us and ASSE on-the-whole in outstanding fashion. We remain honored to have an award named for him.
We will recognize our President Award recipient each July; we are hopeful that many of our chapter members will attend and help applaud the chapter member that is recognized. This is also the meeting where we will be turning over the reins of the chapter to our new Officers and Board, so, please plan now to attend.