Safety Engineer (15620BR)
General Atomics (GA), and its affiliated companies, is one of the world’s leading resources for high-technology systems development ranging from the nuclear fuel cycle to remotely operated surveillance aircraft, airborne sensors, and advanced electric, electronic, wireless and laser technologies. We currently have an exciting opportunity for an experienced Safety Engineer to work within our Environmental Health & Safety team at our facility in La Jolla/Torrey Pines. DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Without appreciable direction of Company environmental health and safety management, this position will function as the lead safety representative for General Atomics.
- Develops and implements company safety programs, including technical documents such as written safety plans, manuals, operating procedures, and other vehicles for communication of safety-related information.
- Develops and provides safety training and other awareness campaigns.
- Analyzes accidents, accident rates, and trends; conducts safety investigations and recommends corrective action plans.
- Provides expertise and counsels line management concerning compliance with applicable laws, codes, regulations, and standards regarding safety matters.
- Performs risk assessments to identify risks and develop effective methods for risk control and management.
- May supervise or provide guidance to less experienced personnel.
- Maintains the strict confidentiality of sensitive information.
- Utilizes MS Office Suite and other applications.
- Performs other duties as assigned or required.
- Requires a Bachelors or Masters degree in occupational safety, engineering, public health, or a related technical field and nine or more years progressively complex experience with a Bachelors or seven or more years progressively complex experience with a Masters. Additional professional experience may be substituted in lieu of education.
- Must demonstrate a complete understanding of occupational safety and/or industrial hygiene principles, concepts, theories, regulations and practices; and comprehensive skills including organizing, planning, scheduling and coordinating workloads to meet established deadline or milestones.
- Must possess: (1) the ability to resolve complex technical problems; (2) excellent verbal and written communication skills to accurately document, report and present findings; (3) excellent presentation skills in order to conduct training for all levels of employees; (4) excellent interpersonal skills to effectively interface with all levels of employees, senior management and outside representatives; (5) the ability to maintain the confidentiality of sensitive information; and, (6) strong computer skills.
- Ability to work independently and in a team environment is essential as is the ability to work extended hours and travel as required.
· Related Professional Certification (ASP/CSP/CIH/CHMM) desired, as well as positive interface with local, state and government agencies such as Cal-OSHA, OSHA, Fire Departments, Health Departments, etc.
General Atomics and Affiliated Companies is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer and will consider all qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, pregnancy, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, age, genetic information, protected veteran status, disability, or any other basis protected by local, state, or federal law. U.S. Citizenship is required for certain positions. EEO is the law. Apply online at: https://sjobs.brassring.com/1033/ASP/TG/cim_jobdetail.asp?partnerid=25539&siteid=5313&AReq=15620BR&Codes=OSSE