The San Diego Chapter of ASSE actively acknowledges the contributions of its’ members. The Chapter Safety Professional of the Year (SPY) award is an honor acknowledging the dedication and outstanding contributions of a member to our Chapter. Each year one member is identified through membership nominations. This member is then nominated to represent the San Diego Chapter as the Region I Safety Professional of the Year.
To be eligible nominees must:
- Be a Professional Member or Member in good standing of their Chapter and the Society.
- Not have received this award within the past five (5) years.
- Be engaged in full-time employment in the profession of protecting people, property and the environment.
Nominees are not eligible if they are currently serving as a member of the Board of Directors or the Chapter Awards Committee, or have been elected an ASSE fellow.
- The nominee’s most recent three (3) years of activities will be considered as a minimum. (note: for Region SPY requires 3 years and Society SPY requires 5 years. At the time of nomination for the Chapter SPY you may consider 3-5 years to make subsequent submittal at the region and/or society level more efficient.)
- Demonstrated technical expertise in the broad field of safety and a thorough knowledge of the operational aspects of his/her safety employment.
- Demonstrated outstanding contributions to the, Chapter or Section, activities, including committee or task force chair, officer, services to members, lecturer at seminars, etc.
- Leadership in establishment, maintenance, and improvement of technical or Chapter programs in the organization nominee serves or elsewhere.
- Other personal achievements related to safety and health.
- Professional contributions to advance the safety profession, such as fostering professional development, public/community services, instructor at educational institutions, involvement in codes and legislation, articles written, work with allied groups, etc.
- Awards and innovations, including citations, honors, plaques; or new procedures or systems developed.
- Endorsements by superiors and verifications by associates, in the form of letters on appropriate stationery of the employer, Area Director, where applicable and Regional Vice President.
Chapter SPY Award Recipients
2016 – Terry Thedell
2015 – Cathi L. Marx
2014 – Rick Kaullen
2013 – Gary Couture
2012 – Dan Hopwood
2011 – David Ferguson
2002 – Alex Meyer
1998 – Andy Crossland
1995 – Ed Langmaid