H&S / Environmental Specialist
- Posted: June 2, 2017
- San Diego, CA, United States
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Incumbent will have primary responsibility to develop and implement site EH&S programs and objectives in alignment with company business objectives and sustainability goals.
- Develops, maintains and continuously improves standard operating procedures, and plans to help ensure continued facility and organization EH&S compliance.
- Maintains safety equipment inventory, performs periodic safety inspections.
- Manages the EH&S training programs, determines EH&S training needs, develops and facilitates training, and works with site management to ensure ongoing training compliance.
- Co-ordinates industrial hygiene, life safety, and ergonomic compliance-related activities.
- Leads and manages the Emergency Response Team (ERT), providing 24 hour emergency response support to the facility.
- Responsible for the Hazardous Material Management Program at the facility.
- Develops and maintains site information management systems to identify, track, evaluate and communicate information regarding environment, health & safety issues and action plans.
- Interacts with others in the administration of the worker’s compensation program and the implementation of workplace ergonomics and program solutions.
- Conducts safety surveys and recommends corrective action where occupational hazards exist.
- Responds to emergencies and investigates accidents and recommends corrective action.
- Completes required federal, state and local government reports relating to EH&S.
- Plans and administers safety training programs to ensure employee awareness of safe working conditions, practices, proper use of safety equipment, fire prevention and protection, and other employee safety procedures.
- Recommends safety standards for the handling, storage and transportation of hazardous materials and waste.
- Investigates accidents, analyzes causes and recommends changes in procedures, practices, methods, environmental conditions or equipment to prevent recurrence.
- Assists with the Hazardous Waste Management program.
- Performs other tasks as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty mentioned satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCETechnical degree (I.E. bachelors) or equivalent experience required. In such fields such as engineering, science, computer engineering, etc, plus 7 years related experience and/or training. Or equivalent combination of education and experience. COMMUNICATION SKILLS Ability to read and understand documents such as policy manuals, safety rules, operating and maintenance instructions, and procedure manuals; Ability to write routine reports and correspondence. Ability to effectively communicate information and respond to questions in person-to-person and small group situations with customers, clients, general public and other employees of the organization. Ability to read, analyze, and understand general business/company related articles and professional journals; Ability to speak effectively before groups of customers or employees. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and policy/procedure manuals; Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public. SUPERVISION RECEIVED Under general direction, working from policies and general directives. Rarely refers specific cases to supervisor unless clarification or interpretation of the organization’s policy is required. PLANNING Considerable responsibility with regard to general assignments in planning time, method, manner, and/or sequence of performance of own work, in addition, the work operations of a group of employees, all performing basically the same type of work. DECISION MAKING Performs work operations which permit frequent opportunity for decision-making of minor importance and also frequent opportunity for decision-making of major importance, either of which would affect the work operations of medium organizational component and the organization’s clientele. ANALYTICAL ABILITY / PROBLEM SOLVING Moderately directed. Activities covered by wide-ranging policies and courses of action, and generally directed as to execution and review. High order of analytical, interpretative, and/or constructive thinking in varied situations. USE OF MACHINES, EQUIPMENT AND/OR COMPUTERS Regular use of complex machines and equipment (desktop/laptop computer and software, road and production machines and equipment, etc.) PUBLIC CONTACT Regular contacts with patrons, either within the office or in the field. May also involve occasional self-initiated contacts to patrons. Lack of tact and judgment may result in a limited type of problem for the organization. EMPLOYEE CONTACT Contacts with other departments or offices and also frequently with individuals in middle level positions; consulting on problems which necessitate judgment and tact in presentation to obtain cooperation or approval of action to be taken. Also, important contacts with associates as required in advanced supervisory jobs. REQUIRED CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS Minimum seven (7) years of on–the-job experience, documenting proof of ability to work on problems of diverse scope where analysis of data requires evaluation of identifiable factors and a solid knowledge of environmental health and safety. Must have demonstrated knowledge of EH&S issues as they relate to a large manufacturing facility in California. Demonstrated working knowledge of current CalOSHA and Federal, State and Local environmental regulations. PREFERRED CERTIFICATES, LICENSES, REGISTRATIONS Board certification in an EH&S related discipline (Industrial Hygiene, Safety, Hazardous Material Management, etc…) is helpful. SOFTWARE SKILLS REQUIRED Intermediate: Spreadsheet, Word Processing/Typing Basic: Presentation/PowerPoint PHYSICAL ACTIVITIES The following physical activities described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions and expectations. While performing the functions of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand, walk, sit, use hands to finger, handle, or feel, talk or hear; frequently required to reach with hands and arms; and occasionally required to climb or balance, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move up to 25 pounds, frequently lift and/or move up to 10 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision, and distance vision. ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS The following work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. While performing the functions of this job, the employee is frequently exposed to work near moving mechanical parts; and occasionally exposed to toxic or caustic chemicals, extreme heat, risk of electrical shock. The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate. ADDITIONAL INFORMATION The above statements are intended to describe the work being performed by people assigned to this job. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required. The duties and responsibilities of this position are subject to change and other duties may be assigned or removed at any time.
This position may require exposure to information subject to US export control regulations. All applicants must be U.S. persons within the meaning of U.S. regulations.
If you are an individual with a disability and require a reasonable accommodation to complete any part of the application process, or are limited in the ability or unable to access or use this online application process and need an alternative method for applying, you may contact the Kyocera International, Inc. recruiter at 858-576-2662 for assistance.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, sex, color, religion, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, protected veteran status, or on the basis of disability.