Title: Environmental, Health and Safety Technician
Department: Facilities Management
Assists in the design and implementation of the Environmental, Health and Safety programs for the entire campus and surrounding communities. Performs skilled level work throughout the full spectrum of environmental, health and safety issues as directed by the Director of Environmental Health and Safety. Assists in the compliant implementation of City/County/State and Federal regulations. Conducts and documents inspections on: Fire safety equipment, eyewash and safety showers, laboratory safety, general building occupancy and hazardous waste areas. Will provide safety training as mandated in a variety of subject matters such as new employee orientation, hazardous waste handling, ergonomics, environmental compliance and confined space. Provides follow-up investigation on incidents and injuries, including developing corrective action plans and tracking items to closure. Serves as a member of the Emergency Preparedness team and other safety related committees.
This position operates under the close supervision of the Director of Environmental, Health and Safety.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Inspect document status of fire safety equipment, emergency showers and eyewash stations.
- Inspect and report building safety hazards and recommend appropriate corrective action.
- Routinely audits campus facilities and work processes assuring compliance with safety and environmental regulations.
- Investigate and report safety hazards/chemical spills and recommend appropriate corrective action.
- Develop and conduct training related to a new employee general safety and injury/illness prevention programs.
- Investigate accidents and provide recommendations for corrective action.
- Maintain all requisite records and reports as directed by the Director of Environmental Health & Safety.
- Perform ergonomic evaluations for office and field personnel, including written recommendations that can reduce the incidence of injury.
- Participate in campus disaster/emergency preparedness.
- Maintain SDS information and chemical inventory.
- Audit disposal of Hazardous Materials
- Perform other duties as assigned by Facilities Management
Minimum and Preferred Qualifications:
- A Bachelor’s degree in an appropriate scientific or public health field and two years of professional experience in a comprehensive environmental, health and safety program, or an equivalent combination of education and experience, and knowledge and abilities essential to the successful performance of the duties assigned to the position.
- Knowledge of environmental health and safety principles and practices. Knowledge of applicable local, state and federal environmental and safety regulations and policies.
- High interpersonal skill to communicate effectively in writing, in person and over the telephone to a diverse audience including faculty and staff.
- Knowledge of or experience in ergonomic principles and controls.
- Ability to prioritize and execute work among competing priorities
- Laboratory experience a plus
- Bi-lingual a plus
- Must be able to qualify for respirator use and have the ability to climb ladders, be on a roof or in a tunnel.
Performance Expectations: Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Ability to develop and conduct training programs
- Possess good organizational skills
- Ability to meet and work effectively with faculty, staff and other customers and possess strong team working skills
- Read, understand and express oneself clearly and effectively in written and oral form.
- Knowledge of ergonomic principles and control measures.
- Working knowledge of Cal-OSHA, EPA and DOT regulations.
- Possess excellent human relations skills
Certificates and Registrations:
- Valid driver’s license
Background check: Successful completion of a pre-employment background check.
Degree Verification Requirement: Persons offered employment in this position will be required to provide official education transcripts for degree verification purposes. Serious candidates are encouraged to request official transcripts to help expedite the hiring process.
Salary: $20.70 – $22.00 per hour; Excellent Benefits.
The University of San Diego offers a very competitive benefits package, to include medical, dental, vision, a 12% retirement contribution given to you by the University (with three year vesting period), and access to on-campus Fitness Centers. Please visit the benefits section of our website to view all of the perks and benefits that USD has to offer. USD: Human Resources: Benefits
Hours: 40 hours per week; usual work hours 7:30 am to 4:00 pm
Closing date: Open Until Filled
Note: External job postings will be up for at least five days. After that time, applications will be reviewed by the hiring manager/committee throughout the posting period. A candidate may be selected at any time which could then close this posting on a date earlier than listed.
The University of San Diego is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity and inclusion and is especially interested in candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of the campus community.
The University of San Diego is a smoking and tobacco-free campus. For more information, visit www.sandiego.edu/smokefree.
Click Apply Now to complete our online application and be sure to upload your resume for full consideration. In addition to your resume, you are strongly encouraged to upload a cover letter to your application profile for the hiring managers’ review. If you have any questions or difficulties please contact the Employment Services Team at 619-260-6806, or email us at firstname.lastname@example.org